Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Year Old Wedding Cake (First Anniversary)

Pin It Now!
Year Old Wedding Cake (First Anniversary)




In celebrating my first year of marriage, I really wanted to eat the top layer of the wedding cake. My husband was not so thrilled about the idea of eating year old cake, but went along with it because it was important to me. Knowing that I would want to save the top layer of the cake, I purposely did not put any filling in the top layer, just icing. The ladies at Publix suggested that I not include fruit or other filling and just stick to the icing between the layers, because this helps in not making the cake soggy. Also, for any brides-to-be, I HIGHLY suggest Publix cake for your wedding cake. The cakes are not only beautiful and tasty, but completely affordable. Now I am able to go and replicate the wedding cake for any special occasion at a grocery store price, what can be better than that! Back to saving the cake for the Big One Year Anniversary. Once I had the cake safely back at my house (after being transported in a cooler), I took the cake out of the box. I wrapped the cake with saran wrap a couple of times. Next, I wrapped the saran wrap layer with aluminum foil. Then I slid the cake into a gallon sized freezer zip lock bag. Lastly, I added a few drops of vanilla flavoring to keep away the freezer burn. The end result was a fluffy tasty cake without any freezer burn! I’m sure it tastes as good as on our wedding day, since I don’t really remember eating much cake that day and my husband getting most of it up my nose! It is a fun tradition and I would suggest that any couple getting married also save their wedding cake as their year celebration!


After freezing for 1 year, I pulled it out of the freezer and allowed the cake to defrost on the counter for 24 hours.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bobbi's Skinni Cookin'