Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Skinni Red Velvet

Pin It Now!
Skinni Red Velvet



Anytime I see red velvet cake, I am reminded of my favorite movie Steele Magnolias and the red velvet armadillo grooms cake (the only thing that was missing from my wedding). Red Velvet has to be one of my biggest weaknesses. This desert is a staple of the South. Every girl needs to have a good go to red velvet recipe, but one that is preferably low in calories. The Skinni Red Velvet recipe has only 65 calories per mini cup cake. The best part of my recipe is the icing, and there is a ton on each cup cake (which is the best part)!

Ingredients-Red Velvet Cake
1.       1 cup- Devils Food Sugar Free Cake Mix
2.       1 cup-Classic Yellow Sugar Free Cake Mix
3.       1 cup-Diet Dr. Pepper
4.       2 teaspoons-Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
5.       2 teaspoons-Red Food Coloring

Ingredients-Cream Cheese Icing
1.       1 tub-Fat Free Cool Whip-room temperature
2.       1 box-Cheese Cake Sugar Free Jell-o Pudding Mix
3.       1 Cup-Skim Milk-cold
4.       2 tablespoons-Fat Free Cream Cheese-room temperature

Directions
1.       Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
2.       Combine all of the ingredients for the cake in a large mixing bowl. My favorite part is the fizzle that get when you add the Dr. Pepper!
3.       Place the mixed cake ingredients in a pre-sprayed muffin pan. I choose to use a mini muffin pan making 24 servings (because mini cup cakes are just more fun)! *I do not use liners, so that you are able to see the beautiful red cake, but feel free if you like.
4.       Bake the mini cakes for 15-20 minutes.
5.       While the muffins are baking, prepare the icing.
6.       Using a whisk mix the milk and the pudding together. *See Useful Cooking Tip #1 below.
7.       Add the cool whip and cream cheese.
8.       Store in the refrigerator while waiting for the mini cakes to finish cooking.
9.       Allow the muffins to cool before icing. I place mine on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to make the icing process easier. If you have a difficult time getting the cakes out, then use a large spoon to wedge down the sides, and they will pop right out!
10.   Add the icing to each of the mini red velvet cakes-about 1 tablespoon each.*See Useful Cooking Tip #2 below.
11.   Enjoy this truly decadent Southern delight!

*Useful Cooking Tip # 1: How to avoid lumps when mixing pudding. First, I poor the milk into the bowl and begin whisking. Then, I gradually add the pudding mix while I am continuing to whisk the milk. Mixing your pudding this way will help to make a creamy pudding versus a bumpy lumpy pudding.


 *Useful Cooking Tip #2: Using a zip lock bag for icing makes adding the icing much easier. First, I mix the icing in a bowl. Then, I use another bowl to open up my zip lock bag; otherwise you will lose a lot of icing in the transfer. Using a spatula, I transfer the icing into the zip lock bag. Seal the bag and move the icing towards the bottom of the bag. Using scissors cut a small corner off of the bag. The smaller the hole, the more defined your icing design will be. Begin squeezing your desired amount on each of the mini cakes. Hopefully this will help you cut down on the mess that is usually surrounding the icing of cupcakes using a knife or a spoon!





Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Best thing you've made yet Sis!! Can't wait to try these mini red velvets... my fav!!

    ReplyDelete

Bobbi's Skinni Cookin'