Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Skinni Fresh Fruit Roll-Ups

Pin It Now!
Skinni Fresh Fruit Roll-Ups



Faced with the problem of way too many strawberries (not a huge problem), I decided to make my own fresh fruit roll-ups! My mom used to make these for me when I was a kid. Being the oldest, my mom always made me the fresh fruit roll-ups. My sisters got the store bought fruit roll-ups by the time they came around. I guess there are some advantages to being the oldest! I used strawberries in this recipe because they are my favorite, but any fruit would be great.

Ingredients
1.      4 cups cut strawberries (or any fruit)
2.      ½ fresh squeezed lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
3.      Lemon zest (optional, but why not since you have a lemon?)
4.      Splenda to taste (I put ½ teaspoon at a time to my desired sweetness)

Directions
1.      Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees (if your oven goes lower then heat to 140 degrees).
2.      Put all of the fruit, lemon juice, and lemon zest into a food processor and blend until purified.
3.       Add your Splenda to taste.
4.       Line your baking pan with plastic wrap (do not use wax or parchment paper because it will stick).
5.      Spread the fruit mixture on pan, trying not to leave any holes.
6.      Cook the fruit for 6-8 hours. The longer you are able to cook it, the dryer the fruit will become and this is the goal. If unable to cook for that long, and then cook for at least 4 hours and then leave the fruit in the oven without opening the door (so the heat is trapped in and continues to cook). This is best to do overnight, and then you can wake up to fresh fruit roll-ups.
7.      Allow the pan to cool.
8.      Flip the pan and fruit onto a cutting board where the plastic is on top.
9.      Carefully peel the plastic away, displaying your beautiful dried fruit!
10.  Place a layer of wax paper over top of the fruit (where the plastic was before).
11.  Take a pizza cutter or scissors (I just hand wash a pair of mine) and cut your desired pieces of roll-ups. I prefer the fruit-by-the-foot, but it’s your choice!
12.  Enjoy this wonderful treat!

My version of fruit by the foot!


*Kids love this snack! I let my students try them and they loved their “healthy” fruit roll-up!

Just out of the oven!

After I carefully peeled the plastic away.

After adding the wax paper.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bobbi's Skinni Cookin'