Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Skinni Apple Crisp

Pin It Now!
Skinni Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp is primarily a desert, but the leftovers can also be a great breakfast treat (at least according to my husband’s family). This recipe is an alteration from Ben’s mom’s Apple Crisp. My version of it came from attempting to make the original as a treat for my then boyfriend (now my husband). I was told “this is not the way my mom made it.” Instead of throwing the apple crisp in his face, I just decided to alter it and create my own! This has quickly become a family favorite (my dad requests it for all of his “special” days)! I love this dish because it is primarily apples with a light healthier topping.
Ingredients
1.       6 apples (Gala gives a more tart taste, Delicious gives a softer taste)
2.       Cinnamon for sprinkling
Topping Ingredients
1.       ½ cup wheat flour
2.       ½ cup oats
3.       ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
4.       1 teaspoon cinnamon
5.       1 stick of butter-I use I Can’t Believe It’s not Butter All Purpose
Directions
1.       Peel and slice apples. Place them in an 8x8 glass baking dish (sprayed with Pam). Sprinkle with cinnamon and mix.
2.       Topping. Combine all dry ingredients (flour, oats, splenda, and cinnamon).
3.       Using your hands, combine the butter with the dry ingredients. (Important-keep the butter in the fridge until ready to make the topping).
4.       Place the topping on top of the apples. I will usually take a handful of topping and flatten it in the palms of my hand and then lay it on top of the apples (But feel free to experiment this, because this is the part that my husband says I don’t do like his mom did-but I’ve yet to figure out how his mom did it). I place all of the pieces together until the topping is covering all of the apples.
5.       Place the dish in the microwave and cook for 20 minutes on High. If you do not have a microwave that rotates, then stop it half way through and rotate 180 degrees.
6.       Serve this dish warm or cold.
*If you double the recipe, the cook time stays the same.
~Thanks Paula for introducing me to this recipe!









Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Bobbi - I can't wait to make this for my family, and I LOVE the "buff apple"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is to die for! Delicious and nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the pictures that I have added will help "understanding" the recipe! Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will help the best that I can!

    ReplyDelete

Bobbi's Skinni Cookin'